Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cockroach!


On our first full day in HCMC, Erika had the unfortunate experience to discover a ginormous cockroach in our bathroom. This thing was not only huge in size but he had atleast 3 inch long antennas too. Since we had to meet for our first dinner with the group then, we just shut him in the bathroom in hopes he'd crawl back to where he came from while we were out. We returned around 10 and after a very cautious peek in, we saw no signs of him so thought we got lucky. We even moved a trash can to cover an ominous looking crack in the lower wall in case that was his access route. So before bed, I decided to brave going to the bathroom. While sitting, I reached to pull down the toilet paper and Low and behold but our archmenesis was hiding behind the roll and comes flying out, bounces off my flailing arm and lands on the floor in front of me. During this split second, I screamed and jumped out of the bathroom, slamming the door behind me. Yes with my pants still around my ankles. So all Erika sees is my screaming, pants less self and instantly concludes that he is back. And with a vengeance. So we realize we can't keep him locked in there all night so she runs to the front desk to get help while I recover. She returns with the random man the front desk guy sent up with her. We usher him into the bathroom, closing the door behind him, so he can assess the situation. He exits, leaves the room for a while and returns with a broom. As we close him into the room again we realize a battle is going on in our lil bathroom. Man vs Cockroach. After a minute, the man exits with a wad of toilet paper and shows us his kill. Though I pity this cockroach a little, I mainly was just glad we could finally sleep as it was well after 11 by then. Erika also was concerned this would be a frequent occurrence in southeast Asia but I reassured her I hadn't seen any others yet so maybe we'd be safe. But what do I know? If there's a repeat run-in, you can bet I'll be blogging about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment