Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My last two days as a local

For my last two days in Dalat, I spent one day working at a local orphanage for special kids. Although I'm not a kid person, it was fun to spend a day playing with them. As soon as I walked in, one girl gave me a big hug and another boy kept telling me 'sin gaow' (hello) all day.  Although there is a concern that these children are becoming tourist attractions in developing countries, this was definitely not that type of opportunity and I would absolutely avoid visiting one 'advertised' if I ever came across one.



In the evening, Lin, the lady who works at the front desk of my guesthouse, invited me to her house for dinner and English lessons with her daughter. It was so fun!  Her daughter is 15 and majoring in English at her gifted high school (the only one in the whole province and sounds hard to get in to). She is in class six days a week from 7 am til 6:30 pm (2 hr lunch break to go home) and sometimes she even has extra lessons until 9 pm! And then sometimes on Sundays too! Her English was excellent and it was fun to learn about her studies. Her father works for a Dutch company that exports Dalat fruits and vegetables to Holland and Germany.  Dinner included a variety of these fresh vegetables and it was amazing! The connection the Vietnamese have with their land and their food is impressive. Whereas I walk in to a supermarket and have no idea where my food actually comes from, these people know the regions and delicacies and seasons of their foods. Fresh and local is always better and they know that! After a yummy dinner, I listened to the daughter and father's excellent guitars playing! Such talent. It was a lovely evening!


On my last morning, Vi and I brought flowers and incense to the local Catholic cemetery where aborted and stillborn babies are buried. Catholicism is one of the many things (along with Eiffel Tower replicas) the French brought over. Vi told me that abortions are allowed at the local hospital but there are also groups that help prevent a women from choosing this option but thankfully, it's still an option though this is where the 'babies' are remembered.


We then walked back to the house she's staying at and spent some time with the mom of the household. I don't usually like coffee but I really like Dalat coffee (with milk)! Tastes like hot chocolate. We then helped her make yogurt which is one of my favorite foods so it was fun to learn how she makes it. Again, such a strong connection to their food whereas I've never even thought about how my favorite food is made! Below is the directions and pictures. Pretty simple so maybe I'll try it at home!

Da-ua (yogurt)

Ingredients:
5 liters fresh milk (the fresher the better, ours was milked this morning and delivered still warm!)
900 grams sugar
2-6 spoonfuls of yogurt (more = sweeter)


Bring to boil, stirring occasionally, then turn off heat. Fan the milk to cool it down. Strain the milk in to a gallon pitcher.


Pour in to small cups.


Stack in a bin and pour boiling water into a jug in the bin and close lid. Let sit for about 10 hours. Then put in fridge overnight to solidify. Makes 110 4 oz cups of yogurt. Yum!



(The finished product is on the left. The other two are the milk before its undergone the yogurt-step)

After a run (probably my last til Germany as I'm sure not running in 90+ with 90% humidity like the rest of SEA!), massage and packing, I met Vi to take her to dinner for her birthday (it's tomorrow) and coffee with our local friends (Theo from our first hike and Then from her house). What a wonderful last night in Dalat but I sure am excited for the next leg of adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment