Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Moped-ology

Moped-ology:
The art and science of avoiding certain death while dodging the zillions of mopeds and their contents that include, but not limited to, entire families of five, refrigerators, live chickens, stacks of veggies and fruit, food carts, 10 ft long 2x2's and huge trash bags.

I've been on the back of two mopeds here (mainly just getting carted to dinner by whichever Vietnamese we are with) and hung on for dear life.  But for the most part, I've avoided these death traps. As some know, I donated a few layers of skin to the roads of Ibiza, Spain two years ago (and some more skin in a wreck in high school) so these two-wheeled vehicles of destruction and mayhem aren't really my friend. However, in order to walk anywhere in Vietnam, one has to learn the road-crossing skill necessary to avoid becoming road kill. Thankfully, Vi gave me a quick lesson on day one. You avoid cars, as they certainly aren't going to avoid you, and just keep walking slow and steady so the mopeds can guess your movements and go around you. However, you have to always look both directions cuz someone may be driving on the wrong side of the road. Oh and sidewalks are not safe either. It took many 'careful's coming from Vi to feel confident navigating the river of mopeds streaming by you but I've so far successfully mastered Dalats roads. Now on to the bigger cities! Wish me luck!


Think this would pass a fire department's child seat inspection?


My feet on a bike-carriage, surrounded by mopeds!


I love the wind in the kids hair. But he should be wearing a helmet!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post. Mainly because I was there in Ibiza. Good to know you got back on one even if it was only on the back. It looks like you are having an amazing time. I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! I wish I was as skillful on a bike as you 'cuz it does look really fun and would be a great way to see the countryside but I'll continue reporting my adventures from the safety of other methods of transportation! :)

      Delete