Thursday, February 9, 2012

Clinic Life is... interesting.

I've worked a full week at the Pasteur Institute in Da Lat now and have come across some interesting (and frustrating) cultural and personality differences that have made this an eye-opening experience.

First, the history. Dr Pasteur is a very famous scientist responsible for rabies and tetanus vaccines as well as the process of pasteurization (which the milk industry is happy about!). The Pasteur Insitute started in France in order to advance the sciences of vaccinations and now the network of Pasteur Institutes function in over thirty countries and there are four clinics in Vietnam alone. The Pasteur Clinic in Da Lat started in the mid 1970's and has been providing vaccinations, basic health care, dental services and ultrasound care ever since then. The Clinic is headed by Dr Thuy who was trained at Da Lat's medical school and is very nice.

During my time in the lab and vaccination room, I feel I can make these pros and cons about this facility.

PRO:
Provide relatively comprehensive vaccination services which we all know prevents many serious illnesses like measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis, meningitis, etc. I was most pleased to see Gardasil and Cervivax given to young women as well. Further, with large numbers of stray dogs, we've handled a dog bite case almost daily that has included vaccination and giving the 'serum' for post exposure if warranted.

CON:
Chung. He is the pompous, rude and incredibly frustrating 'doctor' (aka med tech) who I've had the annoyance of working with the past week. I've spoke some about this with Vi and she says that most volunteers have a hard time working with him and I see why as he is just a jerk. I've adapted to their incorrect ways of doing things (like giving SQ injections as a 45 degree angle in the same deltoid spot as where you'd put an IM and they said no one does it in Vietnam in the back of the arm like I tried to show them) but he acts like I have to give an injection the exact way he does otherwise he just huffs and puffs and probably complains about me in Vietnamese. And if I stick someone and don't get immediate blood, he rudely pushes me aside. I explained to Vi that this is no environment for people to learn in (most volunteers are students that come during univeristy breaks) and she says that this is why he is not at a univeristy teaching (duh!). She said that maybe its a cultural difference and I said no, it's not as I understand there is a language barrier but he is rude to patients and staff a like it appears and especially to me. He finally asked Vi my name again yesterday after me working with him and trying to greet him every morning for over a week. So I've given up and will ignore him for the next two days I work with him and then thankfully will be moving to work in the exam rooms and other areas.

This experience hasn't dissuaded my intention of working towards improving international health but I have realized the added goals of working with a good team on a project I am really interested in and with less or no language barriers.

Here are some pics of the clinic and some action shots:





No comments:

Post a Comment